Tuesday, March 20, 2007

ENTERTAINING VIETNAM


Entertaining Vietnam. A really terrific documentary. I see lots of documentaries and this is as good as most and better than most. And, it is such a compelling subject, things/issues I never thought about. There are stories within the video that are adventures themselves. For instance, I felt really bad about one of the entertainers who was killed by friendly fire. You must watch the interview to "get it." The interview of one of the band members who witnessed the event, was mesmerising. Basically, a soldier who had gone "over the top" and, meant to kill another soldier, missed and killed the entertainer. What a story! Sad.

This documentary deserves wide coverage. Vietnam vets will love it. It should have a national/international audience. Also, in viewing the video, I was struck by the lack of support the entertainers got from the military. This was awful. Apparently the entertainers don't feel this way but I do. Some commander should have been making sure these valuable military assets were protected, transported and anything else needed. We let them down. It is obvious to me that the entertainers' commitment to the troops in bringing them a portion of home deserves recognition. And, this documentary gives a measure of recognition to them. For this, I say, HooAhhhhhhhh!!

I love the way the film maker has put the video together, right to the point of the running credits. A great job. And, thanks more than I can possibly convey for the interest and bringing a portion of home to the Vietnam warrior and also for putting together this video. We are now in a war that is Vietnam revisited. It is Iraqnam. Caring Americans need to see Entertaining Vietnam to understand the psyche of how history repeats itself. Entertaining Vietnam would make a great addition to a college course and I'm personally passing it along to a college Prof. friend. I hope others will do the same.

No comments: