Friday, February 09, 2007

WHAT IS THIS??????????????

THE GAV. The San Fran Mayor keeps trying to do the right thing and yet,the media and some self serving pols are all over him like white on rice. It is, however, politics. Now, he wants to pay the husband of the woman he bedded until the husband gets a job. How noble is this? Gav is a renaissance man. I'm serious. Tell me any other celeb who would do such a thing?

And, of course, the Mayor is going into rehab for an alcohol problem. What makes it a little suspect although I believe he is sincere, is that it seems to be a pattern. A politician falls from grace and then it is the "devil made me do it." Foley of the legislative "pages" scandal who sent dirty messages to teenagers, is the come to mind example. He owns up after being confronted but then it is the alcohol that made him do it. I don't doubt it. In our society many things can be attributed to bad judgment with alcohol. I once gave away my wonderful Karman Ghia when I had only two beers. I'm serious. With a clear head, I would never have done it.

I think the confessions of most politicians and public persons are sincere but it is not going to get a politician off the hook, necessarily. Alcohol is part of our culture and that is the root problem that ought to be addressed. In Gav's case, I think he probably made a mistake by owning up. Had he called me, I would have told him, "don't do it." The media will be all over it. Let us not forget: the media is rarely interested in the "truth" only a story. They are necessary but feeding them the "alcohol problem" merely exacerbated the previous discretion more. My opinion.

Is the Gav an alcoholic? Based on what I've read, no. Does he have a drinking problem. Yes. He should have called me. When I was a young minister in training, I went though an internship at a mental hospital. Most of my time was on the alcoholic ward. These were hard core cases who had done criminal activities, totally been crazy and threatened or harmed someone under the influence of the demon alcohol, as my Dad called it. I listened to their stories. The alcoholics lied to me, took my money, adinfinitum but I learned. I still remember many of the tales: one that sticks out is that this guy whose daughter, 9, mind you was killed in an accident. He sneaks into the funeral home and steals her little black Mary Jane shoes off her feet to pawn for liquor. True story? I don't know but representative of what an alcoholic will do.

Alcoholism is a disease: for a drink, alcoholics will sacrifice their dignity, families, anything. The paper says Gavin has quit drinking. Good! Reinforces the idea that he has a drinking problem and is gettting it under control. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. The good news is that he is going to a really good rehab program from all I read. DeLancy Street. These people don't deal with psychobabble and excuses. And, it will be good for the Mayor. He'll be in "groups" of derelicts, street people, felons, riff rapt, low lifes, liars, cheats, the scum of the earth. Where better to learn to serve the people than associating with all of the above, mainly because of alcohol. With a person of faith, it is a concept of redemption: the drunkard becomes sober. The low life gets himself/herself together. Liars tell the truth, cheats become honest. See what I mean? This experience can only help him and so let's back the f... off and give him a chance. He'll come out ahead. He's a good mayor, done a great job and the people will give him another term. Go Gav!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: