Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Pot

Needless to say I'm the first one on the scene this morning. Gary is out walking probably with Rascal, his dog. This is the greatest dog, a lab. I've never seen a dog have as much fun as Rascal. A couple of times at the Presidio where dogs are king, he runs along the water, dives in it, smiling all the way. I wish he could come to breakfast. No telling where Michael is this morning. I've just read this thing on this yoyo who taped the presidents's conversations. Wouldn't you love to have a friend like this. With friends like this guy who needs enemies. And, of course, he is not doing it for money or to push his book: merely wants to preserve it for posterity. I mean, "yes, we all just fell off the turnip truck."

George W. comes out OK I think: you don't reckon it is a set-up and George W. is in cahoots. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. The "gays" should take a little consolation in "W" remarks that he's not out to "get them." Well, this might be a stretch! But, the remark I liked was about smoking the weed. He didn't deny inhaling like, "Bill." And yet, refrained from being in Al's camp but he definitely gave marijuana a try or two. He didn't want American's children thinking he was a pot head. I smiled.

Drugs, of course, are no laughing matter. And, I think that most Americans have no earthly idea how pervasive they really are. And, where many of American's young parents have a tough time with their children who know that Mom and Dad took a whiff. Now even the "W" has fessed up.

One of the things I want to ask this morning is the question: "is pot a big deal?"

You better believe it. Potis a "gateway" drug to harder stuff.

Give me a break, who says so? Well, I do Drug users and especially proponents of pot deny this but it is fact.

I can tell you with the stuggle with my son. I later discoverd from his wife, now his exwife, that he had smoked pot for years before he got on the hard stuff. It isn't that pot is bad or good but it will take over your life.

Yes, but the question is, "Does it lead to other things?"

Well, it's not that it leads to other things by itself but the reason it is definitely a gateway drug is that when you are smoking pot, it is the company you keep. Those people are doing all kinds of other things besides smoking pot and suddenly maybe the casual user of pot is exposed to all these other drugs and they begin to indulge." Yes, pot is a gateway drug."

No comments: