Thursday, March 20, 2008

THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM

AN ESSAY ON RACISM

I listened to Barack's speech and for once a politician seemed to be confronting the reality of the elephant in the room. The "elephant" is racism. We all know it is there but we deny that it is real and that it does have an impact. 91% of African Americans in Mississippi voted for Barack. That is reality. Is it racism? I don't know but it is the "elephant" in the room. Barach admitted the race card in America.

To be honest, race is an incredibly perplexing mass of contradictions. And, nowhere more than the Church. In this instance, the United Church of Christ where the potential president of our country worships. Because I understand the UCC (United Church of Christ) church as I was once a pastor for eight years in a UCC Church. Like so much of our worship experience in life, the man or woman in the pew understands very little of the workings of the bureaucracy and there is bureaucracy regardless of what it is called. For example, as a Presbyterian, my Church order is that the minister belongs to a Presbytery which is kind of preacher's union as opposed to the Church membership. The only reason this is relative is that it is another example of the obfuscation of the inner workings of the Church. I often joke that Jesus could not get into the Presbytery. Another example is that the UCC Churches governed themselves, like the Baptists--they are autonomous. The local Church may not be anything like the National Church leadership. And, there is a demographic aspect to the UCC, meaning many of them are mostly peopled by African Americans. And, without a doubt, the UCC Church is the most liberal in America.

What does that mean? Well, it means they are often outside the traditional view of what the Church is. They are at the forefront of social issues, i. e. gays, abortion, and a myriad of issues that would lean to the "left." Many UCC churches are what they call, "Open and Affirming" meaning that they go out of their way to recognize the gay community. Consequently, they have many openly gay ministers.

Now, think about this: the most vitriolic opponent of gays on a theological basis are often typically black churches and undoubtedly some of them are UCC. This is one example of the dichotomy and almost impossible situation when attempting to nail down a UCC Church. I use to go to pastor's meetings and come back and say, "Who are these people?" In many ways, it was very refreshing, they at least acknowledged the "elephant in the room" whether it was the gay issue or race. And, they are passionate about it. I once was having lunch with a UCC pastor and casually mentioned the "gay agenda." Mostly, I was running my mouth but this pastor became apoplectic that I had used a term that often the "right" wing used. Sorry.

And, of course, Barack's pastor is one of those fiery black preachers who keeps the brothers and sisters worked up. And, Wright is good at it. In the community, he is famous. It is the way that he raises money.

And, in a sense, it is a cultural issue for Wright and all Churches mostly peopled by black Americans. The "elephant in the room" is a black Church life style which doesn't appeal to many of us. Is that racist? I don't think so. When I go to a worship service, I want quiet, peace, liturgy. In a mostly African American Church, you have music as a big part of the service--spiritual rock and roll would be my term. I really don't know what the technical term is. I do know this: the same phrase is repeated over and over and over and the beat is rollicking. It is a style, the same as lots of modern worship in white churches don't appeal to me, much like "praise bands, etc." Is that racist, I don't think so, it is just what I like. I don't like kids in baggy pants hanging down around their knees either but if they want too, OK. When I was in Korea, I had a gospel choir, a black gospel choir and they wanted to sing every Sunday. When they did, it lengthened the servcie by 30 minutes. People quit coming. I cut it out. Am I a racist?

Part of the black worship experience is a fiery preacher, inciting the congregation. Are Reverent Wright's comments true? As far as racism in America still exists, sure. Is he anti-American. I don't think so--taken out of context, to the outsider and someone looking for it, it sounds like it. His rhetoric is mostly figures of speech. What he says is not helpful to the racial climate of America and fuels the bigoted types like Bill O'Reilleys and the other "shouters" as they love it and have fuel for their bgoted programs. Do most of Pastor Wright's parish or congregation take what he says literally. I doubt it. Maybe not any more than moderate Muslim types would listen to a Mullah. I'm not familiar enough with the worship to say so but rationally think so.

An elephant in the room which we will not admit is that we don't have to like Rev. Wright's form of worship.Yet, most politicians feel they have to pander to the style of worship to be accepted in the black community. However, there is legitimacy to being able to say, it just isn't my style. It is yours and that is fine with me. I see many white politicians at these traditionally black churches and they are trying but it is just not them. As a Protestant who often attended mass, I didn't have to do all the bowing and scraping. It is their stuff and I enjoyed the litergy. It does not denigrate the worship, it is just different styles. It reminds me of Baroness Scharader of Sound of Music fame attempting to play with the Captain's children. We all remember that awkward scene.

I've heard it said that the most segregated place on Sunday morning is the Christian Church. I think so and is there anything wrong with that. There is no law that says it has to be that way. And, the closest to a true integrated Church is the military but even there, it is a choice. This is almost an aside but I think true: there are many African Americans and the only thing about them that is black is their skin. What do I mean? They also have preferences and it is not the universal black experience that we think all blacks have to have. At least that is what several have said to me. Barack appears to be one. He does not deny his blackness but doesn't go out of his way to acknowledge it.

After a posting like this, I almost feel that I should throw in a disclaimer. I am a Southerner and someone who sounds like me is sometimes thought to automatically be a racist. And, racism in the South still exists. We have integration in the workplace but we have almost zero socially. What does that mean? I don't really know and am not sure there really is a definitive definition. I think Barack is on the right track, however. We can never move on, deal with it, whatever until we confront it. Way to go Barack!

As a parting shot, I want to present the comments of a friend about the issue of Barack's pastor. Her comments point up the depth of the "elephant in the room."

It is difficult for me to answer the question about Obama. I really think he is smart, but would a white man with his lack of experience be running for President? Don't have the answer. He is a great speaker, motivator and nice guy, but do I think he is ready to be our Chief Executive? No! Can't believe an intelligent person could sit in a church year after year and hear such hatred and intolerance. If this is the norm in Black churches then we will never have racial harmony. I can promise you this kind of racial bias is not preached in even the most "extreme" churches in the South.

No comments: